Created on Tuesday, 01 March 2016 18:39
Written by Stuart Chapman
Accelerated Christian Education (ACE)
A Short Overview
By Floyd Risser and Stuart Chapman
There are some who are unsure about ACE and its effectiveness as an education program as it looks very different from the traditional school model.
The following is a short overview of the strengths and blessings that may be obtained by using ACE:
· Every Child Learns to Read.ACE is a phonics-based system, which is methodical and easy to follow whether taught by a teacher or parent. Students that have been taught the program correctly do learn to read.
· Mastery-Based Learning is Highly Effective. In mastery-based learning, a student will be ready for each new concept, because he has mastered the skill on the previous level. Depending on their ability and motivation levels, a student may move ahead rapidly or take as long as necessary.
· Targeted Teaching and Learning after Diagnostic Testing. Diagnostic testing ensures each student begins at a level, which is based on his or her ability level not chronological age. Any gaps in learning are identified and targeted. Students may study at different levels across the four core subjects of Math, English, Social Studies and Science.
· Individualised Learning is Best Educational Practice. One of the greatest strengths of ACE is that each student will progress through the PACEs at his/her own rate. Because the program is truly individualised, students learn when they are ready. This is recognised worldwide as a superior method of learning. Slower students learn essential academics and explore truths about God and His world without feeling pressured to “keep up”. Faster students are not held back while the rest of the class “catches up”.
· Built-In Reinforced System of Learning.When a concept calls for new vocabulary, each word is introduced, color-coded in the text, used in an activity, reviewed, and repeated often to facilitate mastery. ACE is replete with full-colour drawings, photographs, and illustrations that add interest and reinforce the text.
· Development of Critical Thinking Skills. The ACE Program develops a student’s capacity for critical thinking throughout his school years. It is designed to help students’ progress through all six phases of critical thinking skills: knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation.
· Students Learn to Write Well.Students gain a deep understanding of the mechanics of English, so their sentence structure, grammar, and spelling are usually of a high standard by the time they graduate. This enables them to organise their written work logically, to propose theses, and support them with clearly prepared explanations.
· Integration of Biblical Principles. A God-centred, theistic philosophy is built into every unit of study, where principles of Godly character traits are expounded in normal text, in character strips, and wisdom tips.
· Memorisation of Scripture. Students memorise Bible verses that illustrate a corresponding character trait. Several different activities are used to help the student learn the verse.
· Students Mark Their Own Work.A student will learn more quickly and to a deeper level when they learn to check and correct their own work. Except for tests, students are required to mark and correct all of their own work each day. This reduces the administration burden on the supervisor and is a vital feature of the ACE program, which increases learning efficiency and knowledge retention.
· Character Training. Students are encouraged to grow in maturity through the lives of text-based characters who grow in age with the students and who model Biblical principles and Godly character traits. Students relate to the various characters and want to emulate their positive attitudes and actions.
· ACE Teaches Good Socialisation Skills. ACE teaches students how to behave maturely in difficult social situations by teaching a Biblical worldview. This is more important than knowing how to be popular in the schoolyard. ACE upholds the importance of the basic family unit and teaches the importance of honouring those who are in authority.
· Opportunities for One-on-one Interaction. During an average day, a parent or teacher would have a minimum of 30 one-on-one interactions with a child. This provides opportunities to observe, explain difficult concepts, and to share motivational concepts.
· Students Learn to Set and Achieve Goals. ACE teaches students to set and achieve daily goals from an early age. This learned skill is essential in maximising the potential of any individual.
· The ACE Program.ACE achievement standards and assessments were developed over years of consultation with educational experts and with extensive research regarding the inclusion and timing of all content matter. Over 40 years of extensive use around the world have validated these choices.
· Students are Successful in Gaining Entry to Universityor Gaining Employment in the Area of their Chosen Vocation. Students completing the ACE program have been be able to gain entry to universities across Australia, or to commence work in an area of their preferred vocation.
· Results of the ACE Program and its Effects on Students. ACE is a wonderful curriculum resource which has blessed millions of children around the world. No other publisher has combined such a rigorous academic program, with life-changing character training like ACE.